Ronaldhino, Kaká, Robinho, Cristián Ronaldo, and Messi, are but mere sports idols to the majority of Costa Rica’s youth. With that being said, from my experience in Costa Rica, the majority of all popular beaches will host soccer pick-up games by the local community.
Gather together some friends and try to hold your own under the scorching sun. The locals will have fun dancing around you.
1. Use plenty of sunscreen. Do not trust tanning oils either. Check out the proceeding anecdote. One time my brother Nate Flynn, the bassist from Sing it Loud, was in the sun for two hours without sunscreen. The next day, he looked like the bigger version of Sebastian from the Little Mermaid. The hotel medic diagnosed him with an insolation. Ask him over Facebook.
2. Keep hydrated (water and Imperial).
3. Know your limits. Running on the beach builds up rapidly.
4. Stay together with your friends.
5. Try to score a golazo, not the Costa Rican slang expression, rather the soccer goal.